The goal of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism is to promote sites and destinations of great archaeological value, to facilitate marketing, to help deseasonalization, to increase economic opportunities and employment effects.
The Exchange is the only event in the world, with the patronage of Unesco and Unwto, UN’s government bodies for Culture and Tourism, where this extraordinary section of cultural heritage can meet professional business, travelers, enthusiasts and schools.
Moreover, it is important to underline the development of intercultural dialogue and cooperation among people that the event pursue with the participation and the exchange of experiences with Countries not only of the Mediterranean area and Middle East and with the annual presence of about 15 Foreign Countries, one of which as Official Guest Country: over the years, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Syria, France, Algeria, Greece, Libya, Peru, Portugal, Cambodia, Turkey, Armenia, Venezuela, Azerbaijan, India.
The most important meetings held in the 23 editions from 1998 to 2021
– Opening Conference with Giampaolo D’Andrea Undersecretary for Cultural Heritage.
– Opening Conference with Giampaolo D’Andrea Undersecretary for Cultural Heritage.
– Opening Conference with Nehad Abd El Latif Ambassador of the Arab Republic of Egypt, Official Guest Country;
– Twinning between the site of Volubilis (Morocco) and the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano.
– Opening of Museo Narrante dell’Heraion di Foce Sele at the presence of Giuseppe Proietti General-Director Archaeological Heritage of the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities;
– Mediterranean Forum Euro-Mediterranean Cooperation “Education and research in the sector of cultural heritage” by European University Centre for Cultural Heritage of Ravello, European Union EUROPEAID, Unesco, Council of Europe, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, CNR, Countries of the Mediterranean area with Mounir Bouchenaki Assistant Director-General for Culture of Unesco.
– Conference “Integrated management of tangible and intangible heritage: cultural diversity as foundation of enduring development” and Issuing of the Paestum Chart for the managing of tangible and intangible heritage with Mounir Bouchenaki Assistant Director-General for Culture of Unesco by Province of Salerno with MiBAC, Ministry of Environment, Unesco, Countries of the Mediterranean area.
– Opening Conference with Saadalla Agha Al Kalaa Minister of the Syrian Arab Republic, Official Guest Country;
– Presentation of the Archaeological Chart of Italy by the Exchange;
– Presentation of Community project “Strabon – system of multilingual and multimedia information for cultural heritage and Euro-Mediterranean tourism” by National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano and Foundation “Maison des Sciences de l’Homme – Paris”;
– International Conference “Cultural heritage and tourism in the minor sites of the Mediterranean area. From experience to education for a consistent management” with Mounir Bouchenaki Assistant Director-General for Culture of Unesco by European University Centre for Cultural Heritage of Ravello, Unesco, Icomos Italia.
– Opening Conference with Loic Hennekinne Ambassador of France, Official Guest Country;
– Management of Archaeological Parks in France and Italy in collaboration with Embassy and Ministry of Culture of France;
– Bilateral meeting between Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage and OCBC “Office Central de lutte contre le trafix des Biens Culturels” of France;
– Conference of Community project “Strabon – system of multilingual and multimedia information for cultural heritage and Euro-Mediterranean tourism” by National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano and Foundation “Maison des Sciences de l’Homme – Paris”.
– Opening Conference with Antonio Martusciello Vice Minister for Cultural Heritage and Activities;
– Conference “Unesco for a new culture of preservation: Preventive Archaeology and the conservation of the most important world’s heritage Mediterranean sites” with Mounira Baccar Unesco Cultural Heritage Division, Jean-Paul Demoule President Inrap France by Unesco and Inrap France;
– Public Hearing by the European Social Economic Committee “Tourism and Culture: two forces for growth”;
– Presentation of Project CUSPIS Cultural Heritage Space Identification System – Programma Galileo, VI Programma Quadro dell’Unione Europea by Arcus SpA and MiBAC;
– Study meeting “Verona Chart and Segesta Declaration use of historical archaeological spaces for performance events” by Council of Europe, European University Centre for Cultural Heritage of Ravello and MiBAC;
– Presentation of the results of Project Archeomar, census of underwater archaeological heritage on the sea bottoms of the coasts of regions Campania, Basilicata, Puglia e Calabria by MiBAC;
– Meeting “Italian archaeological missions abroad as moment of cultural policy: strategies, collaborations, interventions” by General Direction for Promotion and Cultural Cooperation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
– Opening Conference with Andrea Marcucci Undersecretary for Cultural Heritage and Activities;
– “The 50 years of Iccrom in the Mediterranean area: the actions of education and awareness” on the occasion of the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the resolution 4.15 of the General Conference of UNESCO who marked the starting point for the foundation of ICCROM in Italy and the Paestum declaration by ICCROM during the “Forum for professionality of enhancement of cultural heritage in the Mediterranean area” with Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General Iccrom;
– “Mediterranean education and cooperation: a shared path for the development of cultural heritage” by Iccrom nell’ambito del “Forum for Italian Cooperation 2006” promoted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
– “From Greece to Italy from Italy to Greece. Ancient movements and modern researches” by MiBAC, Ministry of Culture of Greece and Italian School of Archaeology at Athens;
– Italy-Greece Meeting “The testing of new forms of management and communication of cultural heritage” by Ministry of Culture of Greece and Fondazione Paestum;
– Conference by ANSAmed “Tourism and cultural heritage: a value for the Mediterranean area”.
2007 – 10th Anniversary
– Opening Conference and Conference “Cultural heritage and tourism for cooperation and development” in collaboration with ICCROM with Taleb Rifai Deputy Secretary-General of UNWTO, Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General of Iccrom, Ammar Mabrouk El Tayef Secretary-General of Tourism of the Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Official Guest Country;
– “Project Coins: a virtual detective” by EPOCH European Project;
– “Interdisciplinary curricula for cultural heritage” getting ready for the challenges of the digital world of tomorrow” by European Projects EPOCH and CHIRON;
– “ArchaeoVirtual: results and perspectives of virtual archaeology in Spain and Italy” by MiBAC and Virtus Virtual Laboratory University of Seville;
– National Congress of the Consuls of Touring Club Italiano “More quality for Italian toruism: a possible mission?”;
– Meeting with Ehud Netzer, University of Jerusalem author of the discovery of the tomb of Herod and with Piero Angela host of Superquark;
– First International Meeting of archaeological magazines;
– Conference by ANSAmed “Media and Cultural Heritage: role and responsability of the information system in the promotion of cultural heritage”.
– Opening Conference with Taleb Rifai Secretary-General of UNWTO, Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General of Iccrom;
– Meeting with Klaus Schmidt author of the discovery of Goebekli Tepe, the first temples of humanity.
– Opening Conference with Shaikha Mai bint Mohammed Al-Khalifa Minister of Culture of the Kingdom of Bahrain, Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General of Iccrom, Eugenio Yunis Chief Sustainable Development of Tourism Unwto, Elìsio Summavielle State Secretery of Culture of Portugal, Official Guest Country;
– Workshop “Stachem” Infrastructures for the Digitalisation of Archaeological and Cultural Heritage of Eastern Mediterranean Sea” by Cyprus Institute (CyI-STARC, Nicosia) and MiBAC;
– Institution of Associazione Province UNESCOSudItalia.
– Opening Conference with Khon Thong Minister of Tourism of Cambodia, Official Guest Country and Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General of Iccrom;
– “An Italian window on Ancient Mesopotamia: the Virtual and Real Museum of Baghdad” by Iraq Task Force of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of CNR.
– Opening Conference with Ertugrul Gunay Minister of Culture and Tourism of Turkey, Official Guest Country;
– General States of Archaeology “The profession of the archaeologist. Who does archaeology today in Italy” called by the General Direction for Antiquities of the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities
– “Italy in the valorisation of archaeological and cultural heritage of Iraq” by Iraq Task Force Iraq of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and of CNR;
– Visit of Mintimer Sharipovich Shaimiev President of Tatarstan, Republic of the Russian Federation from 1990 to 2010 upon invitation of Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General of Iccrom.
– Opening Conference with Arev Samuelyan Deputy Minister of Culture of Armenia, Official Guest Country, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO, Stefano De Caro Director-General of Iccrom;
– Perspective for archaeological missions in view of the development of the Southern shore of the Mediterranea Sea with the directors of the archaeological missions of Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Libya, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey by General Direction for the Promotion of the System-Country of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
– VI International Meeting of archaeological and tourism magazines “Cultural heritage and tourism: best practices for development, education, promotion”in collaboration with ICCROM with Stefano De Caro Director-General of Iccrom, Francesco Bandarin Assistant Director-General for Culture of Unesco, Saywan Barzani Ambassador of the Republic of Iraq, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO, Rafis Burganov Minister for Youth, Sport and Tourism of the Republic of Tatarstan, Anna Maria Buzzi Director-General DG for the Valorisation of Cultural Heritage of MiBAC, Alfonso de Maria y Campos Castellò Director-General INAH Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia Mexico, Maurizio Melani Director-General General Direction for the Promotion of the System-Country of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
– Opening Conference with Taleb Rifai Secretary-General of UNWTO, Simonetta Giordani Undersecretary for Turism of MiBACT, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– General States of Archaeology called by the General Direction for Antiquities of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism;
– “The commitment of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs for intercultural dialogue and cooperation” by the General Direction for the Promotion of the System-Country and the General Direction for Cooperation to Development of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs;
– Celebration of Manama as Arab Capital of Culture for 2013 with the presence of Mai bint Mohammed Al-Khalifa Minister of Culture of the Kingdom of Bahrain, Taleb Rifai Secretary-General of UNWTO and Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO and Director of the Arab Regional Centre for World Heritage.
– Opening Conference with Vagif Aliyev Deputy Minister of Culture of Azerbaijan, Official Guest Country, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Meeting with Taleb Rifai Secretary-General of UNWTO;
– “Italian archaeology abroad: formation and exchange of experiences” by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation;
– Forum of Foreign Institutes of Archaeology in Italy by the International Union of the Institutes of Archaeology, History and Art History in Rome.
– Opening Conference with Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Conference “Destruction of cultural heritage and disintegration of identities”, with live phone call from Damascus with Maamoun Abdulkarim Director of the Antiquities of Syria, at the presence of Mohamad Saleh Last Director for Tourism of Palmyra;
– Conference “Not to forget the Museum of the Bardo, March 18th 2015”, in collaboration with Iccrom with Moncef Ben Moussa Director of Bardo Museum of Tunis, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO, Silvia Costa President of the Committee on Culture and Education of the European Parliament, Francesco Rutelli President Associazione Priorità Cultura, former Italian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for cultural heritage and activities;
– Special Session of the Superior Council for Cultural and Landscape Heritage of MiBACT coordinated by the President Giuliano Volpe;
– Meeting “Towards a unified representation of Italian archaeologists” by the Coordination of Italian Archaeologists with the participation of the Superior Council and the Professional Associations;
– Conference “Ethno-archaeological research in Latin America” by General Direction for the Promotion of the System-Country of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, with the interventions of the Directors of Archaeological Missions of Argentina, Bolivia, Mexico and Peru.
– Opening Conference with Dorina Bianchi Undersecretary of Tourism of MiBACT, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Visit of Dario Franceschini Minister of Cultural Heritage and Activities and of all the three Undersecretaries of MiBACT Dorina Bianchi, Ilaria Borletti Buitoni, Antimo Cesaro;
– Conference “Archaeological Museums of the Mediterranean area for intercultural dialogue”, with Anne-Marie Afeiche Director of the National Museum of Beirut, Moncef Ben Moussa Director of the Bardo Museum of Tunis, Stefano De Caro Director-General of Iccrom, Muriel Garsson Director of the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilisations of Marseille, Dimitrios Pandermalis Director of the Acropolis Museum of Athens, Gabriel Zuchtriegel Director Archaeological Park of Paestum;
– Conference “#Unite4Heritage for Palmyra” with Fayrouz Asaad Archaeologist and daughter of Khaled al-Asaad, Paolo Matthiae Archaeologist, Mohamad Saleh Last Director for Tourism of Palmyra;
– Official introduction of the “Blue Helmets of the Sea” at the presence of Anna Arzhanova President of Confédération Mondiale des Activités Subaquatiques, World Underwater Federation, Silvia Costa Chair of the Committee on Culture and Education of the European Parliament;
– Public Session of the Joint Commission of the Assessors for Tourism and Cultural Heritage and Activities of the Conference of Regions and Autonomous Provinces with Dorina Bianchi Undersecretary of State for Cultural Heritage and Activities and for Tourism, Carlo Corazza Chief of Tourism Unit of the Directorate-General Internal Market, Industry, Enterpreneurship and SMEs of the European Commission, Gianni Torrenti Coordinator Cultural Heritage and Activities Commission of the Conference of Regions and Autonomous Provinces e Assessor of Culture of Friuli Venezia Giulia Autonomous Region;
– Federal Council of Enit.
2017 – 20th Anniversary
– Opening Conference with Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Meeting with the students of Moncef Ben Moussa Director of the Bardo Museum of Tunis with “The Exchange meets the Schools. Cultural heritage as identity and historical memories of the people” at the Temple of Neptune;
– Conference “Sustainable tourism for development in world archaeological sites” by UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation) with Secretary-General Taleb Rifai, Dana Firas President of Petra National Trust (PNT), Shaikha Mai Bint Mohammed Al-Khalifa President of the Bahrain Authority for Culture and Antiquities, Tith Chantha Deputy Minister of Tourism of Cambodia, Meaza Gebremedhin State Minister of Tourism of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia;
– Meeting of the “Social Workshop of Regions” by ENIT;
– Conference “Municipalities and archaeological sites: infrastructures, management and promotion” by ANCI Associazione Nazionale dei Comuni Italiani and MiBACT;
– Meeting of the Directors of Regional Museum Centres by Museums’ General Direction of MiBACT;
– Public Session of the Joint Commission of the Assessors for Tourism and Cultural Heritage and Activities of the Conference of Regions and Autonomous Provinces;
– Conference “Aeneas’s Journey. Farnesina and the Archaeological Research in the Mediterranean Area” by the Directorate General for the for the Internationalisation of the Country System of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation;
– Conference “The intercultural dialogue as universal value of identities and cultural heritage: #dontforget Bardo Museum 18.03.2015 – #unite4heritage for Palmyra” with Shaikha Mai bint Mohammed Al-Khalifa President of the Authority for per Culture and Antiquities of the Kingdom of Bahrain, Moncef Ben Moussa Director of the Bardo Museum of Tunis, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO, Silvia Costa Member of the Committee on Culture and Education of the European Parliament, Taleb Rifai Secretary-General of UNWTO, Fryad Rwandzi Minister of Culture, Tourism and Antiquities of the Republic of Iraq, Mohamad Saleh Last Director for the Tourism of Palmyra, Vladan Vukosavljevic Minister of Culture and Media of Republic of Serbia;
– Conference “Research, preservation of the cultural underwater cultural heritage”, in collaboration with the Sea Superintendence of Sicily Region directed by Sebastiano Tusa, with prestigious speakers from Unesco, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Italy, Turkey;
– “Cross-border cooperation in cultural heritage: Campania Region for a bridge in the Mediterranean Area” with Francesco Caruso Counsellor for International Relations and Unesco to the President of Campania Region, Paolo Giulierini Director of the National Archaeological Museum of Naples, Massimo Osanna General Director of the Archaeological Park of Pompeii, Moez Eddine Sinaoui Ambassador of the Republic of Tunisia in Italy, Francesco Sirano Director of the Archaeological Park of Herculaneum, Vladan Vukosavljevic Minister of Culture and Media of Republic of Serbia, Gabriel Zuchtriegel Director of the Archaeological Park of Paestum;
– Conference “The preservation of cultural heritage, the defence of art and the role of intelligence” with Stefano De Caro General Director of ICCROM, Paolo Matthiae Archaeologist and Director of the archaeological mission in Syria of “Sapienza” University of Rome, Rossella Muroni National President of Legambiente, Fabrizio Parrulli Commander Carabinieri for the Protection of Cultural Heritage.
– Opening Conference with Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the inclusion in UNESCO’s World Heritage List of the archaeological areas of Paestum and Troy with Rustem Aslan Responsible of the archaeological area of Troy;
– Meet the Protagonists with Dan Bahat Jerusalem’s official archaeologist and Marie Bardisa Curator of Chauvet Cave;
– Conference “The Cultural Heritage in Eastern Africa. Farnesina and the Italian researches in Ethiopia and Eritrea” by the Directorate General for Cultural and Economic Promotion and Innovation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation;
– Twinning between Paestum and Palmyra at the presence of Paolo Matthiae, who discovered the ancient city of Ebla, Mouhamed Al Khaddour Chairman of the Board of the Federation of the Syrian Chambers of Tourism and Mohamad Saleh Last Director for Tourism of Palmyra;
– Conference “Intercultural dialogue as an universal value of the identities and cultural heritage: #dontforget Bardo Museum 18.03.2015 – #unite4heritage for Palmyra”, with Moncef Ben Moussa Director of the Bardo Museum of Tunis at the time of the terrorist attack (actual Director for the Development of Museums), Irina Bokova Former Director-General UNESCO, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to Director-General of UNESCO, Fabrizio Parrulli Commander Carabinieri for the Protection of Cultural Heritage, Mariarita Sgarlata Advisor to the Minister for Cultural Heritage and Activities for the protection and valorisation of cultural heritage;
– Meeting between Angkor Wat and the Colosseum with Sackona Phoeurng Sackona Phoeurng Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Kingdom of Cambodia, Azedine Beschaouch Scientific Secretary of the International Coordinating Committee for the Safeguarding and Development of the historic site of Angkor – Cambodia, Alfonsina Russo Director of the Archaeological Park of the Colosseum;
– Presentation of the travel book “Unesco – 33 Italian sites to comfortably reach by train” by Long Haul and Regional Passengers Divisions of Trenitalia in collaboration with ENIT, AIDIT of Federturismo Confindustria and Trenitalia;
– Dialogues on Archaeology of Magna Graecia and Mediterranean Area by Fondazione Paestum, with President Emanuele Greco.
– Opening Conference with Alessandra Priante Regional Director for Europe UNWTO Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO;
– Public Hearing “A New European Agenda for Tourism and Culture” by EESC European Economic and Social Committee with Luca Jahier EESC President, Antonello Pezzini EESC Member, Ignazio Abrignani President Osservatorio Parlamentare per il Turismo, Alfonso Andria President European University Centre for Cultural Heritage of Ravello, Claudio Bocci Director Federculture, Mounir Bouchenaki Special Adviser to the Director-General of UNESCO, Mattia Fantinati Member X Commission Productive Activities, Commerce and Tourism of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Luigi Gallo President of the Commission for Culture, Science and Education of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Anne Grady Policy Officer of Unit D1, Cultural Policy at the European Commission, Renzo Iorio President of Gruppo Tecnico Cultura e Sviluppo of Confindustria and Past President of Federturismo, Franco Iseppi President of Touring Club Italiano, Vittorio Messina President of Assoturismo Confesercenti, Andrea Prete Deputy Vice President of Unioncamere, Alessandra Priante Regional Director for Europe UNWTO, Julie Ward Vice-Chair of the Committee on Culture and Education at the European Parliament;
– Preview Italy – China 2020: together to promote cultural heritage, coordinated by Maurizio Di Stefano President Emeritus of Icomos Italia, with Yang Si Director of Deapartment Tsinghua Heritage Institute for Digitization, Liu Bin Director of Zhejiang Cultural Relics Archaeology Institute, Liu Kecheng Director of Shannxi Provincial Conservation Engineering Institute of Monument & Sites;
– “Meets the Protagonists” dedicated to the 75th anniversary of the Council for British Archaeology, with Executive Director Mike Heyworth, and to the cultural collaboration between Italy and Tunisia, with Alfonsina Russo Director of the Archaeological Park of Colosseum and Moncef Ben Moussa Director of the Museum Development Division of the Tunisian INP Institut National du Patrimoine and former Director of the Bardo Museum of Tunis
– Opening Conference with Felice Casucci Assessor for Administrative Simplification and Tourism of Campania Region Franco Alfieri Mayor of Capaccio Paestum, Alfonso Andria Member of the Board Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia, Tommaso Pellegrino President National Park of Cilento, Vallo di Diano and Alburni, Mounir Bouchenaki Honorary President of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, Carlo Corazza Head Office of the European Parliament in Italy, Giampaolo D’Andrea Advisor to the Minister of Culture;
– Cultural Heritage and Cultural Tourism after the pandemic moderated by Federico Monga Editor in Chief Il Mattino, with opening addresses by Alfonso Andria Member of the Board Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia and Giampaolo D’Andrea Advisor to the Minister of Culture, the works were opened by Maura Picciau Director Service II “National Museum System” Museums General Direction of the Ministry of Culture e Rosanna Romano General Director for Cultural Policies and Tourism of Campania Region, with: Gabriel Zuchtriegel General Director Archaeological Park of Pompeii, Andrea Bruciati Director Istituto Villa Adriana and Villa d’Este, Alessandro D’Alessio Director Archaeological Park of Ostia Antica, Eva Degl’Innocenti Director National Archaeological Museum of Taranto, Filippo Demma Director Archaeological Park of Sibari and ad interim Regional Director Museums of Calabria, Paolo Giulierini Director National Archaeological Museum of Naples, Carmelo Malacrino Director National Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria, Annamaria Mauro Director National Museum of Matera and ad interim Regional Director Museums of Basilicata, Luca Mercuri Regional Director Museums of Apulia Francesco Muscolino Director National Archaeological Museum of Cagliari and ad interim Regional Director Museums of Sardinia, Fabio Pagano Director Archaeological Park of Phlegraean Fields, Simone Quilici Director Archaeological Park of Appia Antica, Stéphane Verger Director National Roman Museum. Moreover, presentation of the reseaech “Archaeological Tourism and Young People – insight and policy for a New Normal” Maria Teresa Cuomo Associated Professor Policies and management of cultural heritage at Department of Economic and Statistical Sciences University of Salerno; presentation of the study of Associazione Civita “Next generation culture: digital technologies and immersive languages for new audiences of culture” Simonetta Giordani Segretary General of the Association; with a speech on “Competences and professions. Museums after the pandemic” Alessandra Vittorini Director Fondazione Scuola dei beni e delle attività culturali;
– ArchaeoIncoming: from outgoing to incoming of archaeological tourism for a proximity demand moderated by journalist Maurizio Carucci, with speeches by Ignazio Abrignani President Parliamentary Observatory for Tourism, Alberto Corti Supervisor Tourism Sector Confcommercio, Vittorio Messina President Assoturismo Confesercenti, Sandro Pappalardo Member of the Board ENIT, the participation of Rosanna Romano General Director for Cultural Policies and Tourism of Campania Region and Gabriele Milani General Director FTO Federazione del Turismo Organizzato. Enrico Ducrot Viaggi dell’Elefante, Willy Fassio Il Tucano Viaggi Ricerca, Maurizio Levi I Viaggi di Maurizio Levi were present and received the “Paestum Mario Napoli” Award, while the lifetime achievement award went to Piergianni Addis Kel12;
– The Parks for the valorization of archaeological heritage and for a more experiential and sustainable tourism in collaboration with Automobile Club d’Italia, Federparchi, Confagricoltura, Legambiente, Touring Club Italiano, Trenitalia. After the opening remarks by Ugo Picarelli Founder and Director of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, Alfonso Andria Member of the Board Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia, with the moderation of Silvestro Serra Editor in Chief Touring, with speeches by Tommaso Pellegrino President National Park of Cilento, Vallo di Diano and Alburni, Sabrina De Filippis Director Business Regional Trenitalia, Stefano Ciafani President Legambiente, Rosario Rago Member Executive Council Confagricoltura, Alfonso Pecoraro Scanio President Fondazione UniVerde, Donatella Bianchi President Cinque Terre Nazional Park, Giovanni Cannata President National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio, Molise, Agostino Casillo President National Park Nazionale of Mount Vesuvius, Mario Tozzi President Regional Park Regionale of Ancient Appian Way, Renzo Iorio Deputy Vice President Federturismo, Gabriele Milani General Director FTO Federazione del Turismo Organizzato, Dario Gargiulo General Director ACI Europe, Giorgio Palmucci President ENIT Agenzia Nazionale del Turismo;
– Autonomous National Parks and Museums and Foundations: comparing models of management of archaeological heritage with opening addresses by Alfonso Andria Member of the Board Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia, Alessandro Garrisi President ANA Associazione Nazionale Archeologi and Salvo Barrano Coordinator table cultural heritage culturale Confprofessio and Member of the Board Fondazione Aquileia, moderated by Umberto Croppi General Director Federculture, with Alberto Samonà Assessor of Cultural Heritage and Sicilian identity of Sicilian Region, Francesca Bazoli President Fondazione Brescia Musei, Carlo Casi Scientific Director Fondazione Vulci, Antony Muroni President Fondazione Mont’e Prama, with closing remarks by Maura Picciau Director Service II “National Museum System” Museums General Direction of the Ministry of Culture;
– 1st Mediterranean Conference on Underwater Archaeological Tourism with addresses by Ugo Picarelli Founder and Director of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, Gianfranco Gazzetti National Director Gruppi Archeologici d’Italia, moderated by Luigi Fozzati Scientific Coordinator of the Conference; preview of the research “Culture and Archaeology for a sustainable quality tourism. The case of underwater archaeological tourism and its implications” by S.R.M. Studi e Ricerche per il Mezzogiorno with Massimo Deandreis General Director S.R.M. Centro Studi connected to Gruppo Intesa Sanpaolo; with speeches by Alfonso Andria President European University Centre for Cultural Heritage – Ravello, Mounir Bouchenaki Honorary President of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, Maurizio Di Stefano President ICOMOS Italy, Barbara Davidde National Superintendent for Underwater Cultural Heritage, Maguelonne Déjeant-Pons Executive Secretary of the European Landscape Convention Council of Europe, Louis Godart Accademico dei Lincei, Member of the Scientific Council of “Maison de l’histoire européenne” European Parliament, Ulrike Guérin Programme Specialist 2001 Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage UNESCO, Culture Sector, Fabio Bruno Associated Professor Department of Mechanical, Energetic and Industrial Engineering University of Calabria “BlueMed Project for the valorization and fruction of underwater heritage”, Fabio Pagano Director Archaeological Park of Phlegraean Fields, Paolo Giulierini Director National Archaeological Museum of Naples, Vincenzo Maione Director Centro Sub Campi Flegrei, Maurizio Simeone Director AMP Parco Sommerso di Gaiola, Gianpaolo Colucci President Associazione L’Anfora, Valeria Patrizia Li Vigni Sea Superintendent of Sicilian Region, Alberto Samonà Assessor of Cultural Heritage and Sicilian identity of Sicilian Region, Aikaterini Dellaporta and Dimitris Kourkoumelis respectively Director and Vice Director Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities with closing remarks byDalila Nesci Under Secretary of State for Southern Italy and Territorial Cohesion;
– Conference of the National Scientific Committees of Icomos Italy with President Maurizio Di Stefano and Deputy Vice Presidente Cettina Lenza, with speeches by Alfonso Andria President European University Centre for Cultural Heritage – Ravello, Francesco Caruso ICOMOS Academy, Dana Firas President Petra National Trust and ICOMOS Jordan, Mounir Bouchenaki Honorary President of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, Mariassunta Peci UNESCO Office of the Ministry of Culture; for National Scientific Committees Paolo Salonia, Francesco Calabrò, Pasquale De Toro;
– Forum on tourism of Southern Italy: growth, differentiation, access to credit to increase the competitiveness of enterprises with opening remarks by Franco Alfieri Mayor of Capaccio Paestum and Ugo Picarelli Founder and Director of the Mediterranean Exchange of Archaeological Tourism, moderated by Vincenzo Chierchia Journalist of Il Sole 24 Ore, with speeches by Giancarlo Carriero President Convention Bureau Napoli, Renzo Iorio Past President Confindustria Alberghi, Costanzo Jannotti Pecci Vice President Unione Industriali di Napoli, Marina Lalli President Federturismo Confindustria, Giuseppe Nargi Regional Director Campania, Calabria and Sicilia Intesa Sanpaolo, Pietro Diamantini Business Director AV Trenitalia; for Regional employers’ associations Vito Cinque Vice Presidente Confindustria Salerno, Raffaele Esposito Provincial President Confesercenti Salerno, Giuseppe Scanu President FIAVET Campania and Basilicata, Vincenzo Schiavo President Confesercenti Napoli and Campania; for Local Bodies Alessandro Ferrara Assessor for Productive Activities and Tourism of the Municipality of Salerno;
– Cilento in perspective. For a national model of culture of the territory by AIGU Associazione Italiana Giovani per l’UNESCO with President Chiara Bocchio and Vice President Luigi Zotta, Coordinator Area Southern Italy Chiara Ficarra, the representatives of Campania Commitee Ludovica Grompone, Valentino Piccolo, Angela D’Angelo, Gaia Daldanise and Stefano Fusco, members Jessica Zanzottera, Federica La Volla, Pietro Bova; during the two sessions there were the speeches by Franco Alfieri Mayor of Capaccio Paestum and President Unione dei Comuni Paestum Alto Cilento, Alfonso Andria President European University Centre for Cultural Heritage, Board Archaeological Park of Paestum and Velia, Michele Buonomo National Board Legambiente, Domenico Gambacorta Advisor for National Strategy Internal Areas, Michele Cammarano President III Special Commission Internal Areas Campania Region, Stefano Pisani Delegate Campania Region Masterplan for the regeneration and the valorization of South Cilento Coast, Sara Roversi Founder and Director Future Food Institute, Jacopo Gubitosi General Manager Giffoni Opportunity, Pier Luigi Petrillo Vice President Body of Mondial Experts of UNESCO Convention for Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity, Alessandro Melis Curator Italy Pavilion Biennale di Venezia 2021, Maria Scalisi Curator Policy Lab Terre dell’Osso, Gaetano Di Palo Director Training Camp ANCI Campania;
– Conference “Cultural heritage in connection: perspectives and developments of integrated management” and National Assembly of the Members of Icom Italy with President Adele Maresca Compagna, Vice President and Director Royal Palace of Caserta Tiziana Maffei, President of Committee of Arbitrators Giuliana Ericani, General Secretary Valeria Arrabito; during the two initiatives there were speeches by Vincenzo Santoro Manager Culture and Tourism Department ANCI, Manuel Roberto Guido Architect, former Manager MiC and Member GLRS ICOM Italy, Marcello Tagliente Archaeologist, former Manager MiC and Member GLRS ICOM Italy, Marianella Pucci Project manager Mediateur, Georgia Cantoni Communication Manager Civic Museums of Reggio Emilia, Claudia Baroncini Director Fondazione Alinari, Luca Dal Pozzolo Director Cultural Observatory Osservatorio of Piedmont, Monica Bruzzone Architect University of Genoa, Alessandro Leon General Secretary Associazione Economia della Cultura, Lucia Pini Director Ricci Oddi Gallery of Piacenza, Ivana De Toni Coordinator Musei Altovicentino, Antonella Nonnis Coordinator Ecomuseo della Valle dell’Aso, Anna Cipparrone Director Consentia Itinera Museum, Daniela Tisi Director Sistema Museale Piceno and Coordinator GLRS ICOM Italy, Alfonsina Russo Director Archaeological Park of Colosseum, Martina De Luca Supervisor of Education Fondazione Scuola dei beni e delle attività culturali, Antonella Pinna Manager Service Museums, Archives and Libraries of Umbria Region.
Institutional Participations in Italy and abroad of the Director of the Exchange
-November 2005 Exhibition of the findings of the Italian Archaeological Missions in Syria at the National Museum of Damascus organized and dedicated to the Exchange by the First Lady Asma al-Assad, on the occasion of the “Paestum Archaeology” Award given to her and Meeting of the Director of the Exchange with the Ministries for Tourism and Culture and with the Governor of Damascus;
-March 2006 assignment by the Municipality of Giardini Naxos of Premio Teocle per la Cultura Classica during the 8th edition of Extramoenia festival;
-February 2009 Meeting with Prince Albert of Monaco at Palazzo Grimaldi in Montecarlo on the occasion of the assignment of the “Paestum Archaeology” Award;
-April 2013 Participation as speaker at the 37th Meeting of the Middle East Commission of UNWTO (World Tourism Organization, specialized agency of United Nations) in Bahrain with the presence of the Ministries of Tourism of the Middle East during the celebrations of Manama as Arab Capital of Tourism 2013;
– July 2016 Presentation of Report “Banca delle qualità campane. 50 eccellenze made in Italy tra i Monti Picentini e il Cilento” by Fondazione Symbola; inclusion of the Exchange among the 50 excellences of the Report;
– November 2016 Participation as speaker to the European Tourism Day organized by the European Commission in Brussels in November 2016 with the European Commissioners Elżbieta Bieńkowska (Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs), Tibor Navracsics (Education, Culture, Youth and Sport) and Karmenu Vella (Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries);
– January 2017 Opening of the International Year of Sustainable Tourism during FITUR, the International Fair of Tourism, invited by the Secretary-General of UNWTO World Tourism Organization Taleb Rifai;
– February 2017 in Milan Convention “Synergies between Cultural and Creative Industries and Tourism to favour growth and occupation in Europe: a new partnership between public and private” organized by European Commission, Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism and Lombardia Region;
– April 2017 coordination of a group of Italian experts of cultural heritage and participation as speaker to the Meeting Serbia-Italy “A bridge for cultural heritage” in Belgrade, invited by the Minister for Culture and Information of the Republic of Serbia Vladan Vukosavljevic through the Italian Embassy in Serbia and the Italian Culture Institute of Belgrade;
– May 2017 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue “Baku Process” in Baku, organized in cooperation with UNESCO, UNWTO and Council of Europe, invited by the Minister for Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Azerbaijan Abulfas Garayev;
– July 2017 awarding of the “Silvana Luppino” Prize in the third edition held at the Temple of Hera in Metaponto;
-July 2017 meeting in Tunis with Selma Elloumi Rekik Minister of Tourism and Handicrafts of Tunisia and Mohamed Zine El Abidine Minister of Cultural Affairs of Tunisia, during the visit of the Undersecretary for Tourism Dorina Bianchi with a delegation of tour operators and journalists, and coordination of a group of experts to develop agreements on cultural cooperation issues invited by Tunisian Ambassador in Rome Moez Sinaoui;
– May 2019 5th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue “Baku Process”, organized in cooperation with UNESCO, UNWTO and Council of Europe in Baku, invited by the Minister of Culture of the Republic of Azerbaijan Abulfas Garayev;
– September 2020 assignment by the Archaeological Park of Naxos Taormina and Naxoslegge of “Comunicare l’Antico” Award in Giardini Naxos at the Archaeological Park during the 3rd edition of the Award;
– May 2021 speaker at General States of Heritage at CNEL Consiglio Nazionale dell’Economia e del Lavoro (National Council for Economics and Labour);
– June 2021 promoter of the meeting in Salerno and Cetara between the Ambassador of Algeria in Italy H.E. Ahmed Boutache and local authorities;
– October 2021 presentation of project works on the destination Capaccio Paestum of the Master in Tourism Strategy & Management of the Bicocca University Milan, of which he was promoter;
– October 2021 speaker at the XVII International Review of Underwater Archaeology di Archeologia Subacquea in Giardini Naxos;
– October 2021 assignement of the Archeoclub d’Italia “Sabatino Moscati” International Award on the occasion of the Congress “Fifty years of Archeoclub d’Italia. Strong in the past, aware of the present, committed to the future”;
– October 2021 speaker at the Workshop “Forma Aquae” Research, safeguard, valorization and management of underwater heritage taking place in Pozzuoli and Procida.
International Archaelogical Discovery Award “Khaled Al-Asaad”
The Award, established in 2015 in collaboration with Archeo and named after Khaled al-Asaad, the Archaeologist of the site of Palmyra who paid with his life the defence of cultural heritage, wants to pay homage to archaeological discoveries with an annual prize awarded after the selection by international archaeological magazines, media partner of the Exchange: Antike Welt (Germany), AiD Archäologie in Deutschland (Germany), Archéologia (France), as. Archäologie der Schweiz (Switzerland), Current Archaeology (United Kingdom), Dossiers d’Archéologie (France).
It is the only global prize awarded to archaeologists, who with sacrifice, dedication, competence and scientific research live their job, both as scholars of the past and as professionals working for their territory and for humanity.
2021 7th edition
discovery of “hundreds of sarcophagi in the necropolis of Saqqara in Egypt”, UNESCO World Heritage Site 30 km south of Cairo;
2020 6th edition
Daniele Morandi Bonacossi, Director of the Italian Archaeological Mission to the Kurdistan Region of Iraq and Professor of Near Eastern Archaeology and Art History of the University of Udine, for the discovery in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq at the archaeological site of Faida 50 km from Mosul, of ten Assyrian rock reliefs, the gods of Ancient Mesopotamia;
2019 5th edition at the presence of Fayrouz Asaad
Jonathan Adams, Responsible of the Black Sea Maritime Archaeology Project (MAP) for the discovery of the most ancient intact shipwreck of the world, wooden ship dating back 2.400 years, two km from the floor of the Black Sea, off the coast of Bulgaria, thanks to the unusual chemical composition of Black Sea water and to the lack of oxygen below 180 mt;
2018 4th edition at the presence of Omar Asaad
Benjamin Clement, Responsible of the excavations for the discovery of the “Little Pompeii” in Vienne (on the banks of Rhône, about 30 km south of Lyon) a Roman city of about 7.000 sq mt populated since I century AD, with lavish villas with mosaiks, monumental statues and public offices, that existed for three centuries and was destroyed by a series of sudden fires;
2017 3rd edition at the presence of Waleed, Fayrouz, Omar Asaad
Peter Pfälzner, Coordinator of the Archaeological Mission and Director for the Department of Near Eastern Archaeology of IANES Institute Ancient Near Eastern Studies of the University of Tubingen (Germany) for the Bronze Age city founded in 3.000 BC next to the small Kurdish village of Bassetki in the autonomous region of Kurdistan;
2016 2nd edition at the presence of Fayrouz Asaad
INRAP Institut National de Recherches Archéologiques Préventives and accepted by President Dominique Garcia for the discovery of the Celtic Tomb in Lavau in the Champagne region, 100 km from Paris, dating back to the fifth century BC with the remains of a Celtic prince;
2015 1st edition
Katerina Peristeri, Responsible for excavations for the discovery of the Tomb of Amphipolis – Verghina, Macedonia (Greece), the largest ancient tomb ever discovered in Greece.
International Underwater Archaeology Award “Sebastiano Tusa”
The International Underwater Archaeology Award “Sebastiano Tusa” is assigned to archaeological discovery of the year or as lifetime achievement, to the best exhibition of international scientific value, to the most innovative project by Institutions, Archaeological Parks and Museums, to the best journalistic contribution in terms of divulgation.
In 2021 the Award has been assigned to:
best exhibition of international scientific value
Paolo Giulierini Director National Archaeological Museum of Naples
most innovative project by Institutions, Archaeological Parks and Museums
Franco Marzatico Superintendent for Cultural Heritage Autonomous Province of Trento
best journalistic contribution in terms of divulgation
Donatella Bianchi RAI journalist host of “Lineablu” and President WWF Italy
Il Premio Paestum “Mario Napoli”
The Award has been established in 2005 in the name of “Paestum” and named since 2018 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the discovery of the Tomb of the Diver after Mario Napoli (archaeologist and scholar of Magna Graecia, who was Archaeological Superintendent of Salerno, Avellino, Benevento at the time of discovery in 1964 of the Rosa Door in Velia, peculiar complex of the II-III century BC, and in 1968, about 1.5 km south of Paestum at the necropolis of Tempa del Prete, of the Tomb the Diver, the only testimony of Greek non vase painting, that Napoli dated back to about 480 BC). The Award is assigned to those who contribute, through their commitment, to the intercultural dialogue, the valorisation of cultural heritage and the promotion of archaeological tourism.
Through the year the Award has been assigned to:
2020 – 2021
Enrico Ducrot Founder Viaggi dell’Elefante
Willy Fassio Founder Il Tucano Viaggi Ricerca
Dana Firas President Petra National Trust
Maurizio Levi Founder I Viaggi di Maurizio Levi
Lina Mendoni Minister of Culture and Sport – Greece
Archeoclub d’Italia 50° anniversary
Council for British Archaeology 75th anniversary
Giovanni Nistri General Commander of Carabinieri Corps
Sebastiano Tusa posthumous award Regional Councilor for Cultural Heritage and Sicilian Identity
UNPLI – Unione Nazionale Pro Loco d’Italia
Irina Bokova Former Director-General UNESCO
Sackona Phoeurng Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Kingdom of Cambodia
Paolo Verri Director-General “Fondazione Matera-Basilicata 2019”
Antonia Pasqua Recchia Counselor of the Italian Minister of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism for the implementation of the reform of the Ministry, research and programming
Silvia Costa President of the Committee on Culture and Education of the European Parliament
Stefano De Caro Director-General ICCROM
INRAP Institut National de Recherches Archéologiques Préventives (Francia), accepted by President Dominique Garcia
Gruppi Archeologici d’Italia 50th anniversary, accepted by National Director Gianfranco Gazzetti
Bardo Museum of Tunis accepted by Director Moncef Ben Moussa
Egyptian Museum of Turin accepted by Director Christian Greco
Francesco Rutelli President of Associazione Priorità Cultura
Franck Goddio Underwater archaeologist and Founder of the European Institute of Underwater Archaeology
Rai Cultura accepted by Director Silvia Calandrelli
Department of Greek, Etruscans and Roman Antiquities of the Louvre Museum accepted by Curator Laurent Haumesser
Shaikha Mai bint Mohammed Al Khalifa Minister of Culture of the Kingdom of Bahrain
Archaeological Institute of America accepted by the Editor in Chief of Archaeology Magazine Claudia Valentino
Viviano Domenici Journalist and writer
Francesco Bandarin Deputy Director-General UNESCO for Culture
Andrea Carandini Archaeologist
Mario Tozzi Geologist and science communicator
Adriano La Regina Archaeologist
Ahmed Mahjub Director of the archaeological site of Leptis Magna, Libya
Valerio Massimo Manfredi Archaeologist and writer
Azedine Beschaouch Archaeologist and Minister of Culture of Tunisia
Carlo Gambalonga Editor in Chief of ANSAmed
Louis Godart Advisor for Conservation of the Artistic Heritage – Presidency of the Italian Republic
Taleb Rifai Secretary-General UNWTO United Nations World Tourism Organization
Emanuele Greco Director of the Italian Archaeological School of Athens
Alberto II Prince of Monaco, assigned at the Prince’s Palace of Monaco on Februry 26th, 2009
Jawdat Khoudary Founder of the Archaeological Museum of Gaza “Al Mathaf”
Carabinieri Command for the Protection of Cultural Heritage 40th anniversary, accepted by Commander Giovanni Nistri
Folco Quilici Film – maker
Piero Angela Science communicator and TV Host
Domenicale de “Il Sole 24 Ore” 25th anniversary, accepted by Riccardo Chiaberge
Colin Renfrew Archaeologist
Mounir Bouchenaki Director-General ICCROM
Alessandro Cecchi Paone Science communicator and TV Host
Zahi Hawass Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities of Egypt
Asma Al-Assad First Lady of the Syrian Arab Republic at the National Museum of Damascus on November 7th, 200
Paolo Matthiae Archaeologist
Roberto Giacobbo Science communicator and TV Host